Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Road Trip

What a weekend. 2500 miles, 36 hours in the car. Round trip from West Virginia to Louisiana. Lots of time to ponder life, look at the scenery, and eat french fries.

And now Tuesday feels like the worst Monday ever. It is hard to get started again, because my brain is not quite engaged. The idea to take a little time off when needed is a good one. An even better idea is to take the time off and get some rest, so that when returning to the place of duty, one is fully prepared and energized.

I should not complain. The trip was necessary for the sake of one of my family members. My daughter had a major presentation and I went simply to support and encourage her, to acknowledge a year and a half of exceptionally hard work. So I do not regret the trip. I just forgot how taxing it was going to be.

You would think it would be easy. Most of what I do concerns thoughts, ideas, and words. If I could just think up some words, tell my fingers the letters and what order to put them in, and then it would all just take care of itself. Not so. Good ideas are hard to come by, to express them into coherent language, to communicate with clarity and impact is difficult on the best days. Nigh unto impossible on the fuzzy days.

Scarlet O'Hara would give good advice here. I'll think about that tomorrow. For today, I will resign to the fact that I am getting next to nothing done, and just let that be.

No comments:

Post a Comment