Monday, February 24, 2014

Reflections on a Sunday


Sometimes it works smoothly, sometimes not so much. And then comes the time when you are again surprised at the goodness of God.

As I wrote up my sermon notes early in the week, I had my doubts. It was a particularly hard passage of Scripture to preach. It was a simple story with very specific application, and not a wide appeal. I thought about skipping it and moving on to something better, but my heart and my soul and the Spirit kept me there.

I struggled to make it interesting. I felt like it was flat and kind of boring. But I stuck with it, and figured I would do the best I could, and let it be. If the Lord wanted that Scripture preached, He would have to bring the zing. In my mind, it was destined to be a dud. But what do I know?

Amazing what happens when you get yourself out of the way and let God be God. When Sunday came, I let it loose, and - if I am permitted to say so - it was pretty terrific. People smiled. They said Amen. At one point, they burst into spontaneous applause. There were some wet eyes. God moved in our midst.

I think that I am going to let God be in charge all the time. It will be better that way.

Thanks to all my Charles Town Baptist friends. I love you, and I am humbled to be your pastor.

No comments:

Post a Comment