Tuesday, September 1, 2009

You know that corny expression

about starting a new chapter in life, turning the page, and new beginnings? The reason that the cliche is so worn out is because it is so true.

With every new chapter, all the excitement and anticipation of the great adventure, comes the sadness and angst of closing out the previous chapter. And that often entains broken relationships, sad goodbyes, and a sense of loss and emptiness. That's kind of where I am.

It is assuredly the right thing in so many ways. The right place, the right people, an opportunity that is extraordinary and wonderful and exciting, everything that I had hoped for and more. There is a thrill of anticpation of knowing that God in heaven is smiling on my life and I am going to be just exactly where He has chosen to send me. The bonus is found in being close to home, back to our roots, and at least the possibility of being in the place that will be my life's work. It's heavy. It's awesome.

But what about my Thursday morning golf partners? Who will join them? What about these wonderful children that I have seen born and grow and start school? What about these young couples that I have counseled and brought together in matrimony and peace? Who is going to watch over them now? What about these little old ladies that have told me exactly how they want their funerals to be? Will someone be there to hold their hand as they walk their final journey?

Unfortunately, it will not be me. And that hurts in a way that I did not anticipate. My hero, a guy named Paul, said that he had to become all things to all people so that a few might be rescued. As much as I want to be like him, I'm going to have a tough time of being there for some folks I care for.

The old proverb says that all good things must come to an end. And one day, we all leave where we are and go someplace else. Whether that is a move across town or across country or across the universe, it is bound to happen. The leaving is hard, but it is inevitable. Someone more suited and more talented than I will counsel the couples and minister to the aincients. And the sun will rise again, and the rain will fall and next years rice crop will come and go, and the democrats and republicans will argue. And wherever we go, all of us can know that we are doing what we can do in the place we are doing it.

What a mixed bag. What an adventure this life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment