Saturday, August 29, 2009

What happened to my brain?

It was an epiphany, sheer brilliance, a total revolution of thought that struck me. I had that thought, "I just have to blog this, it will be cool." And now, some 24 hours later, I have no idea what I was thinking about. Gone. Blank. I remember having the thought, I just cannot fathom what the thought was. What happened to my brain?

Forgetfulness is a sure sign of old age. As is male pattern baldness, diminished eyesight, and an obsession with checking the mail. How can this be happening to me? I am a relatively young man of 43. I am not a kid anymore, but I am certainly not over the hill. I just forget stuff.

No one gets younger. Kids grow up and become teenagers then young adults. Young adults creep into the middle years. When we hit the middle years (as I refuse to say middle aged) we begin to notice things, like how those teenagers play their music so loud and what is wrong with this next generation. And it all comes sliding back because that is EXACTLY what my mom said to me.

And then I think about Mom, and how she always seemed to be forever young, but is now pushing seventy, and even that seems not so bad these days. I guess.

A wise man once wrote about time and how precious it is. See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time because the days are evil. Eph 5:15-16. And I might add the days are both evil and short.

No comments:

Post a Comment