Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A reason to believe

Here's the question- Why am I a Christian?

The standard answers are as follows-
Because I believe the Bible is true.
Because that is the way my Momma raised me.
Because I accepted Jesus as my Savior.
Because the Holy Spirit has led me to the Truth.
Because that is what I believe and that is all I need to know.

And all of these are valid answers to satisfy our own thoughts and ideas and settle the issue in our own minds. Yet, in our post-modern, multi-cultural world of embracing diversity and giving everybody equal time, not a single one of these arguments will stand up. If the faith that we claim to cling so firmly to is going to go forth and overcome the world of hate and violence and self centeredness, if Christianity is going to stand against the critics and the haters of God, then we need something a little more certain than Momma's good advice to hang our spiritual hats on.

There is a reason for our belief, and our reasons must be based on reliable evidence, must be logical, cohesive and coherent, and our faith is more than a collection of good ideas.

The Bible is a reliable book. You should read it instead of this blog. I am astounded by those who refuse to believe the accuracy and historicity of the Bible, and yet have never read it.

I am amazed at those who can believe the theory of evolution in total, that non-life can become life, that organisms will grow towards increasing complexity, and that there is nothing behind this accident of a universe.

The principle of Occam's Razor says that when two competing theories come to the same conclusion, the simpler theory is usually better. Is it reasonable to believe that this complex and intricate design of life, the wonder of the world that we can see, let alone that which we do not understand, that it is all by chance, an accident of impersonal nature that just kind of happened? Or that there is a Being that made it for a reason.

Perhaps it is because I see the world through eyes of faith, that I have such a hard time understanding the skeptic.

No comments:

Post a Comment